Planning for an ultimate safari adventure is exciting but can also be a daunting task. Where should you go? Where should you start? All these things and several other factors start coming into mind. And after careful evaluation, or even just stumbling into like-minded travelers, the name Tanzania will definitely be one of the strongest options. Whether you’re a first-time safari goer or a wildlife enthusiast; a couple going on a honeymoon, a family looking into having a memorable holiday or a solo backpacker seeking for adventures, a Tanzania safari can warrant the ultimate safari adventure! Why?
Reason 1: Its wildlife is astounding.
From the famous Big Five to the elusive and cheeky apes to the feisty predators and migratory herds and even to the most impressive flocks of bird species as well as some of the most endangered and threatened animals of the world, Tanzania’s wildlife will never disappoint. In fact, encountering animal activity that you’d think you can only see on TV is quite natural — predator versus predator or predator versus prey. The animal activity in Tanzania is unreal.
Have you heard about the Great Wildebeest Migration? This surreal wildlife event is a Natural Wonder featuring over 2 million wildebeests, zebras, gazelles, and impalas stomping across the Tanzanian savannas particularly in the iconic Serengeti. Stalking these herds are opportunistic predators such as lions, Nile crocodiles, leopards, hyenas, and cheetahs. This animal movement is known as the biggest in the world, and is even deemed “the greatest show on Earth.”
Other animal migrations happen across Tanzania as well such as elephant migrations around Tarangire and bird migrations across the country. The wildlife found here definitely adds to the attraction of Tanzania making it the ultimate safari.
Reason 2: It is home to a plethora of superlative safari parks.
- Serengeti National Park: A UNESCO heritage site known to be one of the most popular and most photographed safari parks in the world. Home of the iconic Wildebeest Migration.
- Ngorongoro Conservation Area: Also called “The Wildlife Eden” and home of the Ngorongoro Crater, the world’s largest inactive volcanic caldera.
- Tarangire National Park: Home of Tanzania’s largest elephant population and one of Africa’s most popular birding paradise.
- Lake Manyara National Park: Picturesque park boasting of a flamingo-filled soda lake and a setting to Disney’s old Tarzan films.
- Kilimanjaro National Park: Home of Africa’s highest peak and the world’s highest free-standing mountain.
Southern Safari Circuit:
- Selous Game Reserve: Africa’s oldest and largest park recognized as a UNESCO World Heritage Site and one of the most untouched ecosystems in Tanzania.
- Ruaha National Park: Ruaha National Park is the largest park in Tanzania as well as in East Africa hosting 10% of the world’s entire lion population.
- Mikumi National Park: Known as the most accessible wildlife safari park. It is connected with the world-renowned Selous Game Reserve.
- Saadani National Park: The only safari park with a beachfront.
Check out these sought-after Tanzania tours!
- 5 Days 4 Nights The Big Five Tanzania Safari Tour
- 8 Days 7 Nights Roof of Africa Trekking (Machame Route)
- 11 Days 10 Nights Kenya Tanzania Safari Beach Holiday
- 6 Days 5 Nights Best of North Tanzania Safari Tour
Reason 3: It hosts the greatest natural spectacle of Earth.
The Great Wildebeest Migration is held biannually in Tanzania, particularly in the Serengeti ecosystem. The movement goes on all throughout the year with special events marked as most significant:
If you’re after an action-packed safari, this is it. Around the end of May to early June, the migratory hooves reach the Western Corridor where they begin their first river crossing on the Grumeti. This event provides a spine-tingling moment but being a shallow and narrow river, nothing compares to the action and drama the hooves undergo further north when they reach the immense Mara River.
For many obvious reasons, the Mara River crossing is the iconic safari event, which is why it is called “The World Cup of Wildlife”. Migratory herds struggle to cross the river as they battle with exhaustion, hunger and most of all, predation. Large Nile crocodiles, as well as feisty hippos, await on the river, and opportunistic felines wait on the river banks. Indeed, this event is a sight to behold. If you catch this once-in-a-lifetime event, you will surely have a story to tell for a lifetime.
Approximately 8,000 baby wildebeests are born each day during the calving season which happens around January to March. With that abundance of feeble hooves come the highest concentration of predators in Africa — lions, hyenas, leopards, cheetahs and many more.
The Great Migration is a highlight that many would never want to miss!
Check out these Great Migration tours to experience the ultimate Tanzania safari!
- 10 Days 9 Nights Special Serengeti Migration Safari
- 10 Days 9 Nights The Great Migration Kenya Tanzania Safari Tour
Reason 4: You can easily book flights to Tanzania from many parts of the world.
Despite being the epitome of “wild Africa”, several flights can be booked to Tanzania from many different parts of the world. The top international hubs to fly into are Julius Nyerere International Airport (DAR) in Dar es Salaam, southern Tanzania and Kilimanjaro International Airport (JRO) in Arusha, northern Tanzania.
Many domestic flights can also take you from one region to another, even airstrips within parks. If you want to fly to Zanzibar, Tanzania’s tropical gem, Zanzibar Airport also welcomes quite a handful of flights each day.
Reason 5: It offers an experience you can’t get elsewhere in the world.
Where else can you experience true wilderness while enjoying unique tented camp accommodations, exhilarating or ultimate safari adventure and activities such as hot air ballooning above a wildlife-infested savannah, and once-in-a-lifetime adventures like getting close to wild animals you can only see in National Geographic Channel. A unique safari that will make any regular safari experience the ultimate safari. Do all this in Tanzania!
A safari in Tanzania will truly give you a complete change in scenery; an unforgettable experience far away from the stresses of modern life. No wonder Tanzania is an ultimate safari adventure!
Experience Africa. Go on a real adventure with Leadwood!
|Explore more of our tours and find the right one for You|