A yoga safari retreat in Tanzania is one of the best combinations of a lifetime. Tanzania is already known for its abundant wildlife — the Big Five, giraffes, zebras and wildebeests among many others. This experience alone is worth visiting the country over and over, but throwing in some yoga sessions makes the trip a must-try. Start your day with a tranquil yoga session in the heart of nature, then head out into the wild on game drives, tracking various animals and snapping away at scenic views. You’ll also get to experience stretching and meditating in the African bush. It promises to be an unforgettable experience doing yoga exercises, meditations and experience relaxation in the midst of nature and wildlife.
About This Trip
Enjoy wellness in the wilderness and renew your spirit in Tanzania’s great plains. For a more enjoyable time, consider setting aside at least a week for the trip, which involves healing yoga, meditation, safari, and cultural immersion. A yoga safari is all about balancing your inner and outer self, nurturing your body, mind, and soul even while you are on vacation. Your journey across Tanzania will leave you feeling grounded in your body, free in your mind, and light in your soul.
In addition, you also get a more profound appreciation of the world we live in and its many natural wonders. Learn about the herbal healing traditions of the Masai, and join a 3-day safari to the National Parks in Northern Tanzania (Tarangire, Ngorongoro Crater, and Serengeti). Are you looking to reset, renew, and restore in one of the most beautiful and healing places on the planet? You’ll want to be a part if this incredible adventure. The best part is that it is open to all levels, whether you’re a beginner or an advanced yogi.
What to Expect
There are so many exciting things to look forward to in a yoga safari — a mix of adventure, leisure, and relaxation. Accommodations are usually designed for utmost relaxation, letting you unwind in between your safari activities for the day and an outdoor or indoor yoga session. Most of these sessions are done at the start of the day, allowing for a picture-perfect scene as you stretch and breathe deeply while the sunrise accentuates the landscape. This way you will feel recharged and ready for your game drive before you embark on a memorable journey into the Tanzanian wilderness. People who have experienced this will tell you that there’s no better way to start the day’s adventure in the wild than through a peaceful relaxing yoga session.
Typical Yoga Safari Retreat Itinerary
- Getting up just before sunrise for a hearty yoga session, after which you will be treated to a scrumptious breakfast. The setting usually involves spacious areas to hold yoga activities such as on top of a building, inside a lush green garden, or within a tent with sweeping views of the savannah.
- Head out into the magnificent African bush for your morning game drive. Get your camera ready as you’ll be quite occupied taking countless photos. The scenery is almost indescribable — lush green plains dotted with trees and populated here and there by different wildlife.
- After your first foray into the wild for the day, you’ll return for lunch with your yoga group. Alternatively, you could be treated to a bush lunch.
- Once you are rested enough, you’ll head out again for the afternoon game drive. With the sun high in the sky this time, the landscape looks a bit different and more open, but still mesmerizing.
- Return to the accommodation for an optional afternoon yoga session or enjoy a spectacular sundowner with drinks in hand.
- Get down with some dinner and enjoy the rest of your evening around a bonfire exchanging stories with the rest of your yoga safari group or explore around the camp.
Many tour operators provide Vegetarian and Vegan options in their menu so if this is your preference, simply ask. Like with most itineraries, this yoga safari itinerary is totally flexible, so be sure to get in touch with the staff to make the necessary adjustments for you.
7 days in Tanzania is a splendid amount of time to spend, however, if you would like to extend your stay to include a few more days of relaxation and adventure, don’t hesitate to ask your tour operator. They usually offer itinerary extensions to include other popular tours like a visit to Zanzibar or a climb up Mt. Kilimanjaro (Africa’s highest peak) or even a visit to other local towns or tribes in Arusha.
What better way to nurture yourself than to be away from the hustle and bustle of regular city life and enjoy a once-in-a-lifetime adventure all in one trip. There are varied activity options as well such as cultural tours, hot air balloon rides, and nature walks. So what are you waiting for? Get a more in-depth experience of Tanzania from within today.